AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Standing seam roof on house--over shingles???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

alwaysfixin
Posted 4/18/2016 20:19 (#5250594 - in reply to #5250229)
Subject: RE: New Standing seam roof on house--over shingles???

NWMO
I put metal on as a contractor for over 15 years. With one layer shingles no reason you have to tear them off unless you are talking a 100 year old house with 2x4 rafters that are spanning too far with a very shallow pitch. If it's fairly modern house should be fine. If shingles are curled up really bad in some spots you want 1x4 on over shingles before metal goes on. It doesn't add enough weight per square to hurt anything. I never put metal on without 1x4 under. Seen it done and looks ok if shingles weren't curled up bad when it was put on. Seen it done on shingles that were curled up bad and with no 1x4 and looks awful. I mean real bad. I wouldn't do that way myself. My house with 4/12 pitch and 1 layer asphalt put metal on over 1x4 2 weekends ago. Dad's house 8/12 pitch with 1 layer asphalt same treatment this past weekend. Have done 50 + houses same way while contracting. Never been called back once for a leak or roof collapse. Best thing to do is get references from the person who you want to do the work and GO look at his work. If he's reputable he shouldn't hesitate to give you some references. Go check it out and see for yourself is the best thing you could do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)