AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calibrating Ag Leader yield monitors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 8/22/2006 00:45 (#37839 - in reply to #37690)
Subject: Re: Calibrating Ag Leader yield monitors

Brazilton KS

My experience suggests that your mass flow sensor is bad. Mice have a tendancy to ruin them if given a chance. They also may lose accuracy for other reasons. Our first YM2000 was used when we got the second and third ones....I could never get it to achieve decent accuracy, but the new one was very accurate. Exchanged for rebuilt mass flow sensor and presto, it performed good.

I have also had the probably fairly unique experience of running a combine with both an RDS and AgLeader monitor installed at the same time. We had the RDS and the datalogger failed. Had the YM2000 on the shelf for an anticipated second combine which we did not have yet, so installed it to continue recording data. Each had it's advantages and disadvantages, but the bottom line was that you could pick load after load of corn and see the bushel count within 3 or 4 bushels per hopper between the two monitors which were using completely different principles to gain their readings.

Later, running the two monotors in seperate combines used together, I have to say the RDS was superior in low yielding conditions. Both did fine in corn but in drought damaged extremely low yielding beans the RDS would tell you what you had where the AgLeader just zeroed out 80% of the time. The AgLeader just doesn't work in seed crops, but the RDS would...sort of.....it was hampered by the fact that you are measuring volume in the elevator but have no way of knowing what part is seed and what part is fluff, and in certain crops we grew then you could have 40% fluff in the tank at times. The flow rates simply were not high enough for the impact plate in the AgLeader system to register.

One more thing.... but the RDS is very good at measuring volume regardless of test weight. This is not really a primary reason most people have a yield monitor, but your grain tank holds the same volume whether the grain is standard test weight or if it is 20% light. The RDS will read "full" bushels when you are full, but the agleader will read weight when you are full. Probably no one else cares, but I use the monitor a lot to plan rendevouzes with the cart or truck so that I dont' find myself stranded with the auger on the wrong side.

Edited by plowboy 8/25/2006 23:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)