AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calibrating Ag Leader yield monitors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Land_Surfer
Posted 8/20/2006 18:01 (#37457 - in reply to #37454)
Subject: Re: Calibrating Ag Leader yield monitors

For my PF3000 in a 9750 STS, I start calibrating right off the bat. I'll sometimes hand shell to determine starting moisture and test weight to get an idea where the monitor stands. I will calibrate for both beans and corn and if in high moisture corn I will calibrate for that too and have all three identified for selection when I get to that type of crop. Sometimes I will will do a forth calibration for my white corn, which is always around 15% at harvest. My goal when calibrating is always 3% margin of error (+/- 2%). If I get to 1% then that's simply luck, nothing else. In my 485R Lexion, I use the Lexion yield monitor. It is a different animal but much easier to calibrate and do maintenance chack too. I will calibrate it right off the bat too. However, becuae it is determining mass flow from volume, it does not require multiple calibrations to simulate different flow rates. Nor, does it require moisture to determine yield either. Moisture is used for convenience purposes and for determining dry yield readings. Because volume is volume, wet or dry, no matter the crop type, one calibration load (partial grain tank or truck load) will suffice with a second to confirm. It will usually get to within 1-2% very easily and often avg. out to the same as the PF3000. Both will be within .3% of each other on average when harvesting side-by-side in the same field. to compare the two ypes of systems, their accuracy is very very close but, with the Lexion being a whole lot easier and quicker to calibrate. The PF3000 however is better for plot work because it operates on loads vs. the Lexion only doing whole field. Both use the same brandof moisture sensor and the Lexion software exports Lexion data in Ag Leader advanced. However, I use an upgraded version of the Farm Works software (which supplies software for Lexion) for my whole farm instead of the AL SMS. Farm Works is much more in tune with whole farm management, especially if financial management is included and it also creates the necessary application maps that I use with the PF3000.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)