AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cutting "Select" for use in an Injection System
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 6/22/2008 23:38 (#402825 - in reply to #402343)
Subject: RE: Cutting "Select" for use in an Injection System

Chebanse, IL.....

Ted

I ran Raven direct injection for about 20 yrs. I often had to dilute products if I couldn't go low enough flow rate. I think even the Raven ultra-lo volume injection pump (speed reduced via pulley size) had problems at low rates due to lowing prime.

Your plan should work w/water & Select. You're right, you won't be able to lead the spotting of corn plants enough to turn on/off the injection...you'll just have to let it run. As other poster says, a jar test w/water & chemical (correct proportions) will show you settling, if any. Mixing DF products w/low volumes of water (relatively) did cause me lots of problems. Put some agitation to some DF w/water & you may end up w/a good batch of a product looking like silly-putty. I had 2 injectors on a Raven 750 & both tanks had Raven propellor-type agitation. Again, due to the concentration, jet-type agitation may cause problems...maybe not...just be vigilant.

Another problem I had was occasionally losing prime on a product that I wasn't using full time. I'm not familiar w/the AL system, but the Raven direct injection could actually be running, but not pumping. I added Redball float-ball monitors a few yrs ago to my direct injection for visual verification of chemical flow.

I have to say, since glyphosate crops have evolved, I've removed the injection system. It's for sale if anyone needs it. I spray corn/bean boundary fields before I ever dump in the Select, if any is actually needed. Keep in mind that the products that you don't use full time in w/your injection can sometimes "hide" on you in seldom used fencerow nozzles or something like that. You forget about those things until a couple of weeks after spraying & then the lightbulbs start turning on in your head after you see unwanted results.

Good luck there.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)