AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Phipps blog-starting in farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 10/30/2014 07:52 (#4151791 - in reply to #4151720)
Subject: RE: John Phipps blog-starting in farming

Sanilac Co. Michigan
Yah know, this really makes me think. Waaay back in 1975 as a freshman ag student at MSU, I had an Ag Econ Prof named Sherril Knott. He told us then that really there were three ways into faming, Bury it, Marry it, or Carry it!. Mind you, this era was one of the "peak" times for agriculture in my lifetime. Dad had a 40 acre hobby farm and was a long ways from "entering the pearly gates", so that wasn't much help, I was lacking in the social graces, an homely to boot so that wasn't going to attract a wealthy mate suitable to my objective, so that only left the last alternative on whose crooked path I set out!.

Well, I succeeded. At 57 I'm unencumbered by debt and happily farm my little operation. Grampa and family came to this country as beet labor and failed at farming in the late 20's and 30's. Dad worked from his youth as beet labor, figured there's got to b a better way went to Detroit and became a journey man pipe fitter and bought a little hobby farm for his own satisfaction. I was told I was wasting my time, never going to make it. Too hard! Too expensive! Your too dumb!

The bottom line is, you can have anything you want in this country if your willing to work hard for it. Just be aware that you cannot have everything you want.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)