AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Phipps blog-starting in farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AGB
Posted 10/30/2014 07:24 (#4151748 - in reply to #4151720)
Subject: RE: John Phipps blog-starting in farming

Mid-Michigan
jonas grumby - 10/30/2014 07:09

Maybe my area is different but I don't think I will see a start up farmer who does not have family in the farming business. It takes land to start and that start up guy is not going to be able to aquire the land. Of course I am talking row crop farming but I think the same could be said for livestock.

That is the same thing here. I would never suggest that a young person who does not have an established person (family) at least started in this. For what? I completely agree with someone who has a job, insurance and retirement buying some land and a tractor and doing some hobby farming but to attempt to get out of high school and say "I'm going to farm" is not very smart. I'm glad my kids went to college and are making more money than I could ever have dreamed of at their age. I'll give them the farm (one son would like to farm some of it at some point) and they can rent the rest out (they can be the greedy landlord as a dozen guys who are going broke eat their young to rent it for a loss). I have had a golden opportunity due to my parents hard work. I wouldn't wish the burden my dad has carried for 60 year on anyone, especially my kids.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)