AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Book for training a cattle dog
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cprogers6468
Posted 10/10/2014 08:41 (#4118369 - in reply to #4118274)
Subject: RE: Book for training a cattle dog

It depends a lot in the working environment as well. Do you have big pens, small pens, or pastures? I'm not a dog trainer by any standards but being on a horse or four wheeler out in the pasture is different then walking through a pen of first calf heifers. My dog is a german shepherd and she is absolutely MY dog. She is very adaptable to every situation. She is a "force" mover, which for my cattle is good, she barks and attacks but now my cattle respect her and she respects them. She is now coming 2 and she is really starting to learn how much force to use in certain situations. For example, when cows are out on green beans she has to use A LOT of force to get them moving, and the other day when I was walking 5 head up a small alleyway she walks behind them weaving back and forth. Right, wrong, or otherwise she is always looking for me or coming back to me for commands. German shepherds aren't traditionally cattle dogs but i wanted a dog that was going to be at my side and help me in adverse situations. Would I ever take her to a herding competition, no because I'd get laughed at and ridiculed. She makes my cattle life SO much easier and she is perfect for my situation. This fall we are going to try pheasant hunting! Nothing beats a good dog except a great dog, and I have a great dog.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)