AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bang On 80% In The First 21 Days, I'm Happy With That. (8 Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MCatSHF
Posted 5/20/2014 22:33 (#3880675 - in reply to #3879685)
Subject: RE: Bang On 80% In The First 21 Days, I'm Happy With That. (8 Pics)

Sandy Hook, MB

Hello Deere08

All small pastures here, so 1 bull per herd on each pasture. It varies from year to year, but try to not go over 30 to 35 cows per bull. Some years I've only had 10 cows on a small pasture with a bull & other times I've had over 40 on a bigger pasture. Kind of under utilizing the bull with only 10 cows, but that is just how it works out here sometime. The thing that amazes me is that I had 38 cows at home here with an 8 year old Charolais bull. I've never gone that long with a bull before. The most was a 7 year old & he was just with 10 cows on a small pasture. I did cull out 1 of those 38 cows, so I don't know if she was bred or not. 30 of those 37 cows calved in the first cycle that were with that old bull. That  works out to 81% from that herd! Now I know why when I pulled him, he had lost about 500 lbs. It took all winter eating corn silage to put some weight back on his bones before I sold him this spring. I had put in a younger bull later on thinking that he might not be able to do the job. Boy was I wrong. Good thing that I did pull him though, otherwise he probably would've screwed himself to death!!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)