AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What it would take to make cattle appealing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 5/21/2014 06:51 (#3880925 - in reply to #3878728)
Subject: RE: What it would take to make cattle appealing

south east Indiana
Here there is a fair amount of farming. I am near the Ohio river so it is hilly, once you get into central Indiana more and more farming. Ohio is the same. Livestock is not a big thing but there are small herds. What I see is LOTS of land left without cover crops. NONE are planted in my area. I feel like that is a lot of Waste. All that land sitting empty for 6 months. Not to mention the problems that result in open fields.

I admit not to knowing a lot about row crops but leaving the land grow weeds and then coming in spraying weed killer in the spring doesn't sound profitable to me. Why not put a crop on it and graze it or harvest it then plant again. yes I know animals on it compact the soil but I would the fetilizer they bring and the extra income outwieghs the negatives.

I think we need to take a good look at the resources we have and figure out a way to use them more efficently.

I do think the government encourages some practises and discourages other. It is time those that produce the meat we all eat stand up and be noticed. I never see in the news locally when we have heat or drought or a blizzard ANYTHING about the livestock producers, I do hear about the crops and crop farmers. Maybe folks can see a field a field of corn and see corn on the cob or corn flakes at breakfast and when they see cattle in the pasture they do not think steak on the grill.

Somehow there has become a dissconect between farming/row crops and livestock production I think this is a major problem. I am not saying the same person needs to do both or should do both. Some people passion and skills lend them selves to do one of the other. I think we could find it productive and profitable to work together.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)