AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What it would take to make cattle appealing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

OldMcdonald
Posted 5/19/2014 20:17 (#3878784 - in reply to #3878728)
Subject: RE: What it would take to make cattle appealing

Napanee, Ontario
"magic bullet health tool."

Resflor? haha.

But really, you're bang on. It's pretty great to read someone else describe exactly what you experience, and understand where they're coming from. That was a great read AF. And What a crap deal with the cows down in the snow... rough.

I agree 100% - i think you nailed it in the last paragraph. The way the industry is going, herd sizes are getting larger. It's easy to go out and micro 40 calves vs 400. People opted for the physical traits because they didn't mind spending some labor on a few cows to get more pounds. But it becomes increasingly difficult the more you get, bigger the areas you have to keep them in, ect.

I'm not a scientist, but you can get both smart and desired physique, but it's hard. We have some big old cows that are the first to the feeders. biggest calves, never lose them, never pull them, fastest gainers, and tame as can be - walk right up to you and take the hay from your hands. Wish we could have everyone like that.

"stuck in a hay feeder( happens a lot here, never lost one, but have cut apart a few feeders)"

from a few weeks back - need to get a cordless grinder haha

Edited by OldMcdonald 5/19/2014 20:32

(stuck.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments stuck.jpg (191KB - 1320 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)