AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is There hope for young farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

1familyfarms
Posted 4/28/2014 00:37 (#3840616)
Subject: Is There hope for young farmers

The average age of the American Farmer is increasing every year. I would like to think it would be to my advantage that I am a young energetic qualified and experienced farmer myself. I have in the past bid on several farms and have created very unique rewarding bids to the landlords. Most were not successful. I have noticed that my experience and my qualifications and my conservative approach to farming the land is not really the sought after farmer they are looking for anymore. As time goes on, many landlords are becoming more unattached to the land and its preservation. They do not look at their farms after large rains for erosion and don't care about the farmers reputations. They are after one almighty thing, MONEY. As most all of you know, young farmers(including myself) do not have large capital items all paid for, large amounts of ground paid for, or get the best price on inputs like most larger operators. This being said, we can't be the top bidder on most opportunities that come before us. I have learned in order to stay the business I had to find other avenues. Instead of making shady business calls and going behind other farmers backs, I made huge risks purchasing larger equipment hoping to finish my farms in a very timely fashion in order to help other local farmers get done with custom hiring me. This has been a great adventure for our family farm. Not only do I not need to be sneaky like all the other vultures out there looking for ground, but I am building great relationships with other farmers and they are seeing my quality of work. I have never been so proud of my work and with helping others. Most guys have taken the fun and moral out of the American family farms, I am very proud to say that our farm is progressing with time and our hard work and strong morals have brought us to new levels. Doing the right thing may not always pay off in the short term, but it sure is rewarding long term. I guess there is HOPE if you take the right risks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)