AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Colin A. Carter - Back to blaming ethanol - Scott Irwin, how about a panel?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jstroh
Posted 2/27/2014 07:59 (#3719913 - in reply to #3718985)
Subject: RE: Colin A. Carter - Back to blaming ethanol - Scott Irwin, how about a panel?

SCNE
It's funny how they keep blaming ethanol for increased food prices, yet as the price of corn is almost half of what it peaked at my grocery bill has yet to decline accordingly.

Now I see they blame ethanol for using 50 percent of the corn acres. Never mind any mention of the byproducts of ethanol going for livestock feed, and excellent feed at that.

One thing they seem to overlook when talking about switchgrass and cellulosic ethanol production is where are the acres going to come from to produce that? When it finally becomes feasible, won't acres need to be converted from "food" producing crops to cellulosic ethanol crops once again reducing the amount of acres we have for food? Or will these acres just magically appear out of thin air? With an average crop in '13 we will still have over a billion bushel carryout. I think there is more than enough for food and fuel.

The e85 issue chaps me too, in that ethanol has to be put into the hands of the industry that is trying to destroy it to be blended and distributed. They then distort the price to make it non-competitive. If it were priced where it should be, it would be cheaper per mile to use and its popularity would definitely increase.

One last comment, I have a 2001 Chevy work truck with a 6 liter engine (non flex fuel) that I have been burning e30 in for the last year. No problem. Going to e15 would be unnoticeable as well, not only in mileage but in engine safety.

Edited by jstroh 2/27/2014 08:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)