AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven Sidekick and auto swath
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/5/2008 07:24 (#326189 - in reply to #326108)
Subject: Re: Raven Crop start system and auto swath

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I haven't really thought about the Crop Start situation and using an Ag Leader Injection module The Crop Start console is really a Sidekick console with some different firmware.

At first thought it would seem that the Direct Command Direct Injection module should work in that application since both the motor on a Direct Injection system and your diaphram pump are controlled by the PWM concept. So in that respect both situations are similiar.

However there are other considerations. In the Sidekick situation there are sensors for watching the vacuum and the flow output to/from the Injection pump. This means that the Sidekick console will not work properly in place of the Crop Start console.

For this reason, I don't believe the Direct Injection Module would be a replacement for the Crop Start console. There are no counterparts to the vacuum and flow sensors in the Crop Start system. Also there is the Tach feedback concept which is present in the Injection system but not in the Crop Start system.

It would seem to me at the moment that your Crop Start components (On/off Valve, flowmeter and pump) could work with Ag Leader's Liquid Control module. My main concern would be the limitation of the PWM output circuitry of the LCM. I don't know what amperage the LCM can output in the PWM mode and I'm not sure what the amperage demands are for your Crop Start Pump.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the question of 2-30" rows. I assume you may be referring to Seed Command where the planter is split up into several sections of 2-30" rows or 60" sections.

For example, it would be possible to split up a 24 row 30" planter several ways. Usually I would recommend 8-3 row sections. This means each section would be 90" in width. Some customers may want to split up this planter in 12-2 row sections. This means each section would be 60" in width. Twelve sections is the upper limit for an Ag Leader Seed Command module.

Ag Leader's recommendation is to stick with the somewhat wider sections in most cases. The danger of getting the sections "too small" is that GPS drift may cause a narrow section to be shutoff inappropriately. That being said, we have customers who have used the narrower sections with good success but they were using "Autopilot grade" GPS. This has generally been Omnistar XP/HP or RTK.

Edited by tedbear 3/5/2008 07:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)