AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best agreement for a custom backgrounder?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

M&M's
Posted 2/23/2014 10:33 (#3710664 - in reply to #3710579)
Subject: RE: Best agreement for a custom backgrounder?

NESD
I think you all have valid points. I think you all have been down this road the way it sounds. I think where the issue between owners/feeders/ or just feeders comes in is, when you are backgrounding rate of gain is a mute point to some degree. It depends on if the calves are going to be finished by the owner/owners. If the finisher is the owner he wants the calves to be backgrounded slower so they build body and not fat. That way when he gets them in his lot he can start to push them and get a great rate of gain. If you are the backgrounder and are getting paid on gain only, this type system can kinda suck. You know you could get them heavier but the SOB that owns them won't let you. That's where some type of payment system other than all rate of gain has to come into play. I think Garvos idea of some type split ownership is probably best. You both will have "skin in the game" so the animal are taken care of properly, and you will both gain from backgrounding slower and then the bump later when finishing. Finding that level of comfort between two parties will probably vary some, but yes, both need to make a dollar.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)