AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Farmbill thoughts have prompted me to ask this question. Who has been writing your checks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

farmerbk
Posted 2/8/2014 18:50 (#3674127 - in reply to #3674016)
Subject: is this comparing apples to apples?

Seymour, IL
I don't think the comparison of direct payments and crop insurance is really comparing apples to apples....
I will be the first to admit that as a midwestern producer, I don't know what it takes to raise rice, peanuts, or cotton.
Insurance is a product to protect against loss...the same for fire, liability, hail,etc.
Crop insurance can provide yield, or revenue protection, and it available to most commodity crops.
the claims I have had the last 2 years were caused by yield losses, total settlement influenced by the change in prices
None of the insurance does anything unless there is a loss.
If you can control the water, you may take the yield risk out of the equation....and if prices do not typically vary enough to generate a revenue claim, the insurance may not be advantageous to your operation. However the premium reduction is available to producers regardless of where you farm.

Hence I don't understand trying to compare direct payments to crop insurance--all of us are losing the direct payments
However I am willing to be educated...how are you seeing them being comparable?

bryon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)