AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

jd 4045T oil pump problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kb ag
Posted 7/16/2006 15:03 (#27117)
Subject: jd 4045T oil pump problems

nc ks
Have a 4 year old 4045T JD diesel on an irrigation well with 3500 hours. The murphy switch shut it down apparently for oil pressure. I can spin the motor over w/o reseting murphy and it will pump up to 20 lbs of oil pressure and then drop down. When I manually hold murphy and start the motor, you can see the oil pressure needle flicker and then go down. The motor still sounds great, has used no oil, about 40 hours since last oil change. Put another manual gauge at port where oil exits block and get same results. Don't know if oil pressure drops to zero as both guages had murphy shutdown set at 15lbs. I did leave port open once and spun the motor over, got strong stream initialy and then it lessened a little. Really need to get this unit going again as had no rain for quite a while, dryland crops all but gone, can't afford to lose what little irrigated I have in this heat.

UPDATE!!!!!
I dropped the oil pan and found the drive gear that meshes with timing gears was slid foward and barely meshing and rubbing on front of oil pan. Thought that maybe nut was loose but it appears that shaft was loose in the gear inside the oil pump itself( not sloppy loose, just spinning inside gear and could shove it in and out). Took the back housing off the oil pump and slid the top gear off shaft, it is smooth on inside, no evidence of a keyway in it. How did they drive it??? It is not tapered. Hoping there is a way to get going w/o taking front cover off motor and everything. For clarity, this is a 4cyl 4.5 liter motor, NOT an inline 6 cyl 404cu in. Any help is appreciated greatly
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)