AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drago corn heads
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 11/5/2013 19:24 (#3425826 - in reply to #3425442)
Subject: Still on the fence...

East Central Ia
Seems all the guys I hear that like them have new/newer ones. I have one that is 5 years old that I bought used. The deck plates stick something terrible! I tore it all down to the frame before the season and cleaned everything up... I even used the wired brush on my angle head grinder to polish up the decks plates and the the frame underneath that they slide on. They seems to halfway work for the first couple hundred acres. Now I have several that are to stiff to close themselves again.

I have a 20" head which is a bit more tricky then 30" becuase there is no outside adjustment on the spring pistons because there is no room. So I am going to try to tear it all apart this off season and replace or shim all the springs to get some more tension on the deck plates. I am hoping if I can get them to close better they might stay a bit more free.

But I think it just collects to much residue underneath them and gets to hard to move.

And the auger is the biggest POS I have ever seen on a cornhead!!!

Love about everything else about them. They are great at pulling the stalks in with how aggressive the gathering chains are.

So I plan to make some adjustments to the auger in hopes it will feed into the combine MUCH better and work with the deck plates. If I don't get these things figured out next year its a gonner!

Imo the perfect cornhead is a Drago with hydraulic deck plates and Geringhoff (big and slow) auger!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)