AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fencing - pounded RR ties in today. Hard to believe. (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/21/2013 08:07 (#3279695 - in reply to #3279609)
Subject: RE: Will they last?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Here is an enlargement from one of the pictures above showing the post retainer rollers.  It has a heavy spring on it and seems to hold the post well. Definitely something I would add to yours.  The key to these things is to keep your hands away from the post as well as wear safety glasses, ear protection, heavy gloves and with ties steel toed boots. I would call Shaver and see if they have a retrofit kit for your HD12.

As far as rr ties lasting as posts, it is important to use good rr ties - much better than the ones used for landscaping. I don't believe arsenic posts are sold any more. I've taken out 6" round posts that just rot off at the ground. I used new rr ties a few years ago on a different fence and they look good. In our climate it helps to keep water/freeze-thaw out of the ends of any posts.

If any wood post lasts 20-25 years thats about all you can ask around here. We have no hedge.

As much as steel tee posts are criticized on this board, I'm sure we have all found long forgotton fencelines in the woods of steel tee posts well over 50 years old. The majority of the posts in this fence will be steel tee posts, as I described somewhere above, with wood only where needed.

These RR ties will probably take the tension of high tensile as long as I need them. Joe or my other kids, kids in law or grandkids can replace the corners some day. The physical work will be good for them.

Jim

Edited by Jim 8/21/2013 08:25

(2013_08_20_Shaver post retainer from_010_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2013_08_20_Shaver post retainer from_010_1.jpg (74KB - 239 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)