AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

well that the full circle for it boys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

WeaveFarmer
Posted 8/20/2013 17:28 (#3278391 - in reply to #3277579)
Subject: Re: well that the full circle for it boys

Boone Co. Iowa
Here is tough part about figuring out the crop "here." I went to the Climate Corporation website and was looking at rainfall totals in my growing area. (http://weather.climate.com/history) IF their data is correct, we have gotten about twice as much rain as last year, and grew 155 bu. corn and 50 bu. beans. The hail hit our beans, but areas that were not hailed were in the 50+ range. We have had twice as much rain as a year ago, so 2013 should be better, right?

But as you look at the "growing" season, 2012 compared to 2013, we actually got more rain in July and August last year. IF you think about our root systems between 2012 and 2013, as well as the soil profiles (maybe we filled up this spring, just seems hard for me to think that the downpours filtered all the way into that hard subsoil, but maybe it did), we actually had a better finish to the crop last year than this year. We have had cool weather, but as we had a late spring, that is not helping our crops along.

The final thing for me to consider comparing yields 2013 to 2013, is that last year, we had 100% of our crop harvested. This year, we are missing 4% of our corn that was drowned out/ponds. Last year, our ponds were over 200 bu/acre. WAY over. This year, 90 day corn that was planted right before insurance date, or beans instead of 200+ bu. ponds.

This week of 90+ temps, lows of 70+ is going to stress this crop in lots of growing areas here. Hard for me to think that our yields will be less than last year, but I do believe that will be the case. We got 2 different one inch rains last year to make the yields we did, late July and early August. Not happening this year. More power to every one out there having an excellent crop, but I am seeing lots of tipback, poor pollination, and CRW on our corn on corn (only one field thankfully).

Maybe guys that no-till or strip till are seeing better things than me, but I think that my yields will not make last year. I honestly can't see my beans making 40. I've seen beans make 60 in a field, but we had to have the early stress and August rains for pod fill. Opposite of this year's growing year.

I'll be the first to say I was wrong when I am crying about storage space, etc. etc. but seems unlikely at this point.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)