AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

converting cropland to alfalfa/hay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tjdub
Posted 8/18/2013 23:46 (#3275348 - in reply to #3275166)
Subject: RE: converting cropland to alfalfa/hay

andyfarmer - 8/18/2013 21:05

We don't have low PH soil here, most is on the high end if anything.
Low areas could be grass/mix, they aren't routinely under water, just very slow to dry out

It isn't necessarily being underwater that kills alfalfa, just keeping the soil saturated at a few inches down will kill the tap roots. We had a bad winterkill here this year, but I lost more alfalfa stand here in June from the constant rains. All my flat gumbo fields have almost zero alfalfa left now even though there was a good amount for 1st crop. Those aren't even low fields, just relatively flat and clay.

I've been using branch-root trait alfalfa for a few years and that does pretty good. It splits the tap root to make a shallower root system when it hits water. It still won't tolerate a long wet period, though.

I would grow reed canary on the low stuff. Also, birdsfoot trefoil does good and makes a good alfalfa like hay, but doesn't yield very high. With either of those, they're a self-propagating crop so you don't have to rotate to something else every few years when your alfalfa stand gets bad.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)