AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Branding......waste of time anymore?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/18/2008 07:18 (#286004 - in reply to #285439)
Subject: RE: I would raise holly hell today at 8 a.m. !

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
I don't know how your state does it, but I would have called the state and had the sale barn shut down! The brand insp. are under the Idaho State police here. They have just as much inforcement as a state trooper. You better not get caught in Idaho with out a brand card, written trip permit on the road, or in a sale barn,etc. They can throw all the elec. ID's crap away, ear tags,etc. The only tried, and cheapest way to ID. cattle is a brand! When you're "puter" goes down, the batteries go dead in RFID reader, what are you going to do! I will tell you if you have a qestion on a animal here, you call the brand insp. here they will be there johnny on the spot!

We have one brand insp. for my county, will tell you for sure he knows all the brands, producers, where cattle are being pastured, time frames we move cattle,etc. He talks freely with insp. in Utah as well, I live on the border of the two states, trust me these guys know their cattle, and watch movements of trucks,etc. You can't out run today's cell phones!

I brand, earmark, waddle, and also tag cattle. I will tell you they stick out like a sore thumb!, they get noticed, either from insp., sale barn people, BLM people, FS people. You name it, they are easy ID. at a glance. That's, the way I like it. I can drive by a cow doing 60mph. along a freeway and ID. a cow if she has a earmark, and waddle, tag.

I would raise holly hell with your state brand board and get all commission houses shut down till they get inspectors there!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)