AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Branding......waste of time anymore?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 1/17/2008 18:11 (#285544 - in reply to #285515)
Subject: RE: Branding......waste of time anymore?

Chad, for example if I sold feeder calves to you via private treaty or through a sale barn the calves would need to be brand inspected before leaving my ranch or upon arrival at the sale barn. You would then receive a brand tranfer certificate to identify the number of calves you bought. In west river this is rigidly enforced. In your area, I'm not sure it's worth the paper it's printed on. That's what I'm saying. The brand certificate says the cattle are now yours and IMO should be in effect statewide. I buy bulls that carry the breeder's brand on them. I don't rebrand them, but I must produce the original brand transfer cert when I take the bull to the sale barn when I'm done with him. I did buy bulls from a guy who did not brand them as calves. I did not brand them either, but the brand inspector want the brand transfer cert anyway for the unbranded bull. I don't see where EID tags are any more effective than a brand. They can be easily cut out and/or replaced. Hot iron or even a good freeze brand or tatoo are a permanent part of the animal.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)