AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hesstonized hay... Old Manual (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 6/26/2013 21:20 (#3176292 - in reply to #3174790)
Subject: Re: Hesstonized hay... Old Manual (pics)

Had a shade similar to that on a IH 210 draper swather. I started "Internationalizing" hay with that rig when I was 9 years old.

I didn't find the stick steering difficult to operate. IH used planetary gears with clutches. IMO, the IH system were easier to use and much more consistent than "slip the belt" type steering used by other makes. I have never operated a hydrostatic swather so don't know how they compare.

Another the thing about an IH was you could literally turn around in your tracks. Leave one stick forward and pull the other stick all the way to the rear. The forward stick tires would be going forward and the rearward stick tires would be in reverse. Swather had 7.60-15 tractor tread duals.

IIRC, the 210 was the first swather to use the water cooled IH C153 engine (same as 504 tractor) Our swather was a 1970 model. Guy bought it and the engine blew up on the way to the hayfield. Dealer took the swather back and replaced with new one. Dad bought this swather new in 1971 with a new engine in it.

IH had a well designed operator platform. All the propulsion drive belts were well behind you or directly underneath the operator platform. Very minimal danger of getting into a belt.

My worst problem as a kid on the swather was I was too short. I had to slide down off the seat to reach the foot pedals that controlled the platform and reel raise/lower functions. Sometimes I would just stand and lean my rear end back against the seat.

Sorry for the thread hijack from Hesston to IH!

Edited by John SD 6/26/2013 21:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)