AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hesstonized hay... Old Manual (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

play in the dirt
Posted 6/25/2013 22:10 (#3174716)
Subject: Hesstonized hay... Old Manual (pics)

south central IOWA
With all the talk lately of haying, it made me think of this old manual from the late 60's and Hesstonized hay. It's kind of comical looking at it nowadays because this is an owners manual but yet they found it a good place to put in a little self promotion and coin the phrase "Hesstonized Hay". You don't see that too much these days in owner manuals.......

When this machine was new in about 1968 it was well before my time but I have still had the joy of running this machine and I truly believe it was way ahead of it's time. We can't even make as nice of hay today with a Hesston 1345 discbine as we can with the old 500 self propelled.

Making hay might be one of the biggest "arts" of farming but yet it is so generalized. With so many variables with making quality hay and the fact that anyone can make hay, I think people lose focus on making quality hay. Everyone is so focused on how to get hay to dry down the fastest and the concepts are easy to believe. Doesn't always translate into quality hay.

This machine was designed to be able to bale without raking. That's the way we done it and have baled many a bales on the second day after mowing with it on 2nd and 3rd cutting hay with 1st cutting being a 3 day process. It's too bad it isn't fast enough or able to cut as easily as machines today. If anybody knows of a modern day 500 I'd like to hear about it.

There has been studies before on feed value of hay based on- no raking, different types of rakes, and the tedding/rake process. I haven't taken the time to find them but if anyone has a link to some I would like to see them.

(rps20130625_211539.jpg)

(rps20130625_211555_265.jpg)

(rps20130625_211609.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rps20130625_211539.jpg (60KB - 102 downloads)
Attachments rps20130625_211555_265.jpg (82KB - 82 downloads)
Attachments rps20130625_211609.jpg (83KB - 84 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)