AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Consumer mentality
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

95h
Posted 1/15/2008 23:06 (#284201 - in reply to #283858)
Subject: RE: Consumer mentality

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

I don't disagree with you at all. The problem is was and will always be a lack accurate honest information. Shoot go to any grocery store look at the meat prices. You and I know that $$ 8-10/pound Prime ribs are not what the Grower is getting to put into his pocket. If the Grower's lucky he's getting about .90 maybe $1.00 a pound?? To make the problem worse,, the general public is so completely disjointed removed from where/how their food is actually produced and the point at which they buy it at the grocery store. The general population can drive down the roads and see the crops being grown, shoot in this state the Gov. even puts nice sign posts along the highway telling the motorists "Corn"  "Wheat", "Alfalfa" or whatever. But the Consumer doesn't realize the crop they see growing doesn't just go directly to their local supermarket where they buy it. Nope, Corn first gets picked, then hauled to a processor who strips the kernels of the corn, cleans, grades, packages, freezes into those nice little plastic freezer bags. Then the corn is hauled all over to distribution warehouses, hauled some place else, stored, the eventually making it to their local grocery store. So, consumer's in general see the beginings of their food (in the fields) and the end result (in the stores) and don't know or understand anything about what happens in the middle. (all the processing that happens)  And of course every "middleman" between the grower and the Consumer gets paid well for their efforts. Sadly the general population does not understand all that nice new shinny paint DOES NOT mean the Owner is "RICH". What it does mean is the Owner is purchasing or renting (in debt) for the shinny new paint.  Consumer's are for the most part wage earners period.  THey understand X $$ come in each month and they have X $$ going out each month. Paycheck mentality.... "IF I'm ahead X $$ then I can afford the payments, if not I can't afford that shinny new paint.  The general consumer has zero concept of purchasing something.  It is solely a question "what are the monthly payments."  They don't know-understand-grasp the Business concept of buying "shinny new paint". "Shinny new paint" for the general consumer is for "show" or "keeping up with the Jones's". (no slam against any Jones's reading this BTW)  THe General Consumer does NOT comprehend buying something (going into debt) where the "shinny new paint" has to pay for itself or produce better, etc.  "Shinny new paint" to the general pop. is a luxury an EXpense with no hope of actually expecting to make money with the Equipment.

THe middle men are not about to come forward and say,, "YUP !  We buy cattle for $1/pound and sell it to you for $9/pound.

Huge DISCONECT THERE. 

Sadly most American's are just "general consumers" or wage earners. Paycheck to Paycheck and obviously all farmers are rich cause they drive new pickups. In reality Producers are busines people who buy because it's financially the smartest thing to do. You can change "pickups" to any piece of machinery the concept is exactly the same. It's a luxury, complete expense in their eyes, so obviously you've already got the money cause it sits in your driveway. The General public/consumer doesn't get the complete difference between wage earner and businessman. 

Interesting note I sold W.Wheat for $10.02,, (ya too soon I know....) today's price is 14.38 something at the Elevator in Kennewick.  And a week ago bread in the store was still $1.10 a loaf. I wonder how bad the middle men will blame the Grower for the price increase when they decide to jack the "store price" through the roof. Anybody see Grain dealers starving to death selling pencils on the street corner to make ends meet? 

The best "defense is a GREAT OFFENSE"!  Most of the general public likes quick fast answers, 2x2=4  and they have a short attention span. So,, they need to hear short fast accurate answers. "Yup, I got X $$  for my commodity, I also paid X $$ per bushel to produce that commodity. THe difference is what I have personally to live on. How much money you bring home each month is for you to live on? All of it right?"  (the general consumer are like house breaking puppies,, they can learn,, ya just gotta go thru allot of newspapers before they understand)

Opps, looks like I might get wound up if I were to work at it. HUH??

I personally get tired of hearing about "rich Farmer" from the general public.  How about paying my fuel bill to run the equipment,, then tell me how rich I "must be".

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)