AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This must be the nursery...(pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/14/2013 18:47 (#3035757)
Subject: This must be the nursery...(pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

There was some discussion in a thread below somewhere about Herefords and mothering.  I was checking on my cows and calves yesterday and found a group in a sheltered corner of a pasture near the woods. As mentioned in the storm thread, the winds have been mostly out of the east the past 10 days or so. This is unusual.

This group of cows and heifer with new calves seems to have found a spot out of the wind here. This is a ways from hay and water but they seem to be taking turns going to the hay and water while the others watch the "kids".

I think they are doing a pretty good job of mothering in some very tough recent weather conditions. Yesterday was a day of respite from the cold and rain when I took a few pictures. The second picture is one of my registered cows with a registerable heifer calf. She seems to be coming around.

Jim

edit: I added a picture of some steers and my retained bull who are in another pasture on lower protein grass hay. I give them a bucket of grain every other day or so to make up for the grassy hay. Ordinarily the steers would just be finishing up the grazing corn and on their way to the processors in a week or so.

However with the short corn crop these are not near ready so I will have them back on grass and see what they weigh after getting through the spring flush of grass....if there ever is a spring flush of grass!

Edited by Jim 4/14/2013 18:53

(IMG_0242_This must be the nursery 041313.JPG)

(IMG_0226_Cow 24 with heifer calf 24A 041313.jpg)

(IMG_0262_retained bull and some steers getting a bit of grain to supplement grass hay 041313.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0242_This must be the nursery 041313.JPG (95KB - 98 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0226_Cow 24 with heifer calf 24A 041313.jpg (83KB - 125 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0262_retained bull and some steers getting a bit of grain to supplement grass hay 041313.JPG (86KB - 99 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)