AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pasture seeding suggestions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 2/27/2013 12:52 (#2930101 - in reply to #2929653)
Subject: RE: Pasture seeding suggestions

south east Indiana
I do appreciate your suggestions so far. The places I am planning on seeding were eaten down last fall so the seed will indeed get to the ground easily. There are some places in the exisiting pastures where the fescue is not thick and I will throw seed there as well. I am hoping to get things taken care of soon and allow the grass time to start growing before I turn the flock out there. I know the sheep walking over the ground will push the seeds in, do you think I should let them out there a couple hours a day to nibble around the first week then pull them back off? The ground is actually soaked right now. I am afraid if it warms up and the new seeds sprout and begin the grow the sheep will simply pull out roots and all if they are of there.

I will admit to not be a very good judge as far 'space' goes, I cant look at a chunk of ground and say oh thats 5 acres or 2 ect or thats 100 x 60. You guys are far better at that, which is why I gave the approx size of these two small pastures. I kinda need to know how many bags of seed to use in a spot then I can break it down as I am out there speading it. Chalk it up to be a woman thing :-)

So you think I should wait on the rye and try to put some down in the fall and not now? Will the orchard grass grow ok once it is warm and not as wet?
Thanks
Denice
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)