AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New born calf in snow help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kstate90
Posted 2/26/2013 20:57 (#2928762 - in reply to #2928140)
Subject: Re: New born calf in snow help

North Central Kansas
Do you have a esophageal tube to tube calves with? If not buy one and learn to use it. Buy the one with a stainless steel tube. If you get one that is to weak that is the best way to get the colostrum down them quick. You can drown a calf if you do it wrong. I learned the hard way how to do it. What I do is straddle the calf and put thumb over the bridge of his nose and my fingers in his mouth. I use my right hand to push the tube down. I start by putting the tip of the tube in the back left hand side of the mouth. The tube should extend out of the right hand side of the mouth. Then I slowly push the tube down and then pour it slowly in. A little at first. Milk out the nose means you need to start over. Buy the tube with the ball on the end. Look on YouTube for video.

Buy some milk replacer. Tsc sells 10 lb bags if you don't want to buy a big one. I also keep nutridrench dairy on hand. I give it to the weak ones. It is a nutritional supplement.

For future reference you might want to buy or build a portable shed if you will be calving there. Do you have a pen there. You can also make a cheap warming box out of a large dog carrier and a heater. A cardboard box and heater will work also.

Don't worry about some of the critics. You are doing all you can.

We learn by asking. Keep asking and learning. Good luck.

Edited by kstate90 2/26/2013 20:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)