AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How can this happen. milk way past it's date?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 2/1/2013 19:49 (#2867444 - in reply to #2866143)
Subject: RE: How can this happen. milk way past it's date?

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

TheHillbilly - 2/1/2013 08:57 My questions...when does sour cream go bad? I had this discussion the other night. I quite often use sour cream if its a couple weeks past the date appears ok to eat. Is the date on sour cream the expiry date or sell by date, lots of online says its sell by not expiry. How long does it stay good for if its the sell by date?

IMHO.......sour cream is just that:  sour cream.   The stuff was spoiled before they put it in the carton.  As long as the clear plastic seal hasn't been broken/opened on it, it's good for a long, long time after the date stamped on the lid.  If it's been opened, then the game changes.  It may separate a bit, but as long as it isn't wearing a blue fur coat, it's probably still OK to use in cooked recipes.  On a baked potato, maybe not.  But it's air that is the criminal in most food spoilage.............keep the air away and the food will last.  Contrary to what my dil's believe, the date on food packaging is actually an arbitrary 'suggestion', not the rule of law.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)