AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody ever rode the Durango to Silverton train?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

KnowAFarmer
Posted 1/28/2013 20:12 (#2856958 - in reply to #2855546)
Subject: RE: Anybody ever rode the Durango to Silverton train?

SE Nebraska
Mother and I went to CO last October. About the latest I'd want to go. Ran into snow coming back.

We rode the Georgetown Loop RR, and then the Durango & Silverton RR and then wend to the Cumbres & Toltec RR, along with a few other things all in the matter of a week. We took the train to Silverton and back. We rode the early train, and the late train heading back to had a loose ash pan, so they had to couple the trains together behind our locomotive. We were in the open car toward the back of the train. The guide said they don't have that many cars on a train very often.

Then we headed to Chama and caught the bus to Antonito. We rode the train back. It stops in Osier for lunch. Very yummy. We rode the open gondola car on this train as well.

The open car on the Durango train has a cover over it, but the Cumbres one is wide open. It was a little chilly in the open cars in October.

A lot of miles, but a fun trip.

We got our tickets online the night before, but even that late in the year the trains were almost filled up. I would recommend getting your tickets early.

Edited by KnowAFarmer 1/28/2013 20:16

(IMG_0161.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0161.jpg (50KB - 73 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)