AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adding Molasses
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 12/25/2012 19:11 (#2775583 - in reply to #2775376)
Subject: RE: Adding Molasses

NE Iowa
If you don't mind I've got a couple questions:

1) I've tried pouring a couple cornstalk bales once and it only seemed to soak into them a couple inches but I only added a couple gallons. When you add 200# to a bale do you have to have a ring to hold it or will the top of the bale hold that much? When you let it soak overnight how far does it soak into the bale?

2) I needed to stretch my hay by feeding some stalks this winter so bought a 55 gallon drum of molasses to use as an enticement to get them to eat them better. My cows have seemed to acquire a taste for eating them now so I stopped treating them. I was tearing the bales apart in a feeder and pouring it on top with a sprinkling can. Anyway, the molasses I bought was manufactured in Illinois and they had a price of $117 per 55 gallon drum on their website. But from the manufacturer it went to a distributer and then to my local dealer and by the time I got it it was $168 per barrel. To add insult to injury I emptied the barrel when I got it into 2.5 gallon jugs and theire was only 38 gallons in the barrel so it was like $4 per gallon. Can you give me an idea of what you are paying when you buy it in totes? The cows really loved it but I didn't like the price.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)