AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Small Square Baling: What is most efficient?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 11/28/2012 19:05 (#2721988 - in reply to #2721572)
Subject: RE: Small Square Baling: What is most efficient?

I've got a Kuhns 18 bale accumulator and grapple. It works reasonably well. How it would work for you in ditches and waterways... I don't know... but I suspect it would not work very well. They take a LOT of room to turn and the more you can avoid turning the more you'll get done. I also find that they do NOT like lower capacity balers. You need something that's going to pound the bales out so they have a bit of inertia when they go over the top of the chute. The single biggest problem I've had with that accumulator is bales not wanting to slide, particularly if it gets on a bit of a sidehll with the nose down.... If you keep the baler pounding hard it usually works fine....
There's also some investment in your wagons to install head racks and winches for securing the loads. Plan on needing a loader of 3000# rated lift capacity to safely handle that grab. I'm getting by with about 2100 # lift cap with a NH LS170 skid loader... and plain and simple it's not enough.

I know that if I was in a situation where all of my fields were in one place and within a mile of storage I'd no doubt have a NH stack wagon. Since that's not the case I use this... One very nice feature of this system is that provided you have storage where you can get in and out with the grab... you can load the wagons in the field, unload at the barn and then reload the bales out onto a truck again without touching too many of them. I've loaded 48' vans alone in a bit over 2 hours with the grab. If things were set up better... it could be done quicker.

That said... for the situation you describe I'm not convinced you aren't using the most practical system available to you at the moment unless you want to go with a thrower.

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)