AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Small Square Baling: What is most efficient?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jack_wabbit
Posted 11/28/2012 14:12 (#2721642 - in reply to #2721572)
Subject: Re: Small Square Baling: What is most efficient?

I wished I had some photos to share with ya....

A few years ago Dad sold out of the dairy business. We put up +/-25,000 small squares each summer up until then. We also baled ~100 ton of round bales to supplement the small squares.
But, for small squares we had two balers. A JD 336 & 348 each with Farmhand 8-pak accumulators on them. the 10-pak would have been nicer but it's even more weight cantilevered at the end of the loader. We loaded in the field with a 4020 equipped with an 8-pak grapple, and with our skid steer (NH LS180), unloading in the hay shed, also equipped with an 8-pak grapple.
We'd get creative in loading racks in the field to maximize the amount of bales that were loaded on each trailer. We had up to 4 - 9x20 hay wagons with 10-ton gear under them. When we introduced the tandem dual 32' gooseneck into the equation.... boy, could we haul hay! Every once in a while we were able to use a 48' semi trailer (on a dolly) that was pulled by the front wheel assist.
I believe at our peak we could load, haul, and stack away ~3000 bales in one day with out having to touch a single one. And still get the cows milked. I have to give credit to Ma' and the little brother to fill in as drivers when needed, of course.
If we were stacking in the loft... with a crew of 4-8 of my football teammates, we'd stack a max of 1200 bales in ~4 hours. There was no need to push any harder than that.
Having said all of that, it's tough for me to think that was ~15 years ago already. Wow...

To answer you initial inquiry. I'd have to say the biggest improvement to speed/efficiency/labor/ect. to our haying operation was the 8-pak accumulator behind the balers and the 8-pak grappel on the loader.

BTW...
Dad still has the Deere 348 with 8-pak & grapple that he'd be more than willing to let go for the right price/cause.

Good luck,
-Jack
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)