AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

POA for inlaws questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

oldbones
Posted 11/21/2012 21:52 (#2709977 - in reply to #2709021)
Subject: RE: POA for inlaws questions

Floyd County, Iowa
Like milofarmer1 says, get it done asap. The POA's can only be granted while in a healthy state of mind.
My dad has appointed me as both Durable POA and Medical POA. I'm the first born, so Dad appointed me. I have 2 younger brothers. I've had to use both POA's on a couple of occasions. Not that Dad is disabled, but he's 82, widowed, living alone at home (so far, anyway), and his age and years of hard work are starting to show. He was an anti-aircraft gunner and artillaryman in Korea, and worked in the foundry at Oliver/White Farm. He can't hear, so he doesn't understand what they're telling/asking him. The times I had to use the POA's, he was under sedation and decisions HAD to be made. Without the POA, I don't know what would have been done.
I also had to write checks on his account for everyday bills from his house. Both brothers were kept up to speed on everything as it happened. Even though I have the paperwork, I ask for and get their input- more heads thinking are better than one, and he's their Dad, too. It helps that we all get along well and pretty much feel the same on most things (as far as Dad's well being, at least).
I was also able to give the hosptials directions over the phone, if I couldn't be there, as it was a 9 week ordeal.

A few tips to save you a lot of trouble and time when you won't have either to spare-
>As soon as you have the POA papers, make SEVERAL copies of both.
>Keep the originals stored safely in a safe deposit box.
>Take a copy of the Durable to the bank(s) for their records.
>Take a copy of the Medical to their doctor's (and dentist, etc) office.
>Take a copy of the Medical to the local hospital.
>Take a copy of the Medical to the regional hospital (the one that's the next step up from the local).
>Keep a few copies at home so they're handy if you need them (court house, VA, etc).
(edit): Take a copy of both to nursing home.
I wish someone had told me these before I needed them.
Just my 2 cents.

Edited by oldbones 11/21/2012 21:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)