AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new diesel pickup...which brand?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

OlsonKrist
Posted 11/16/2012 02:39 (#2699878 - in reply to #2699865)
Subject: Re: new diesel pickup...which brand?

nw MN
When I get a new pickup next time I will give Ford a second (3rd? LOL) chance despite all the problems in the last 10 years. The new 6.7 has had virtually no problems, or consider the 6.2 gas maybe? The new ford gas engine gets almost twice the fuel mileage of the old v10 or a gm 6 liter gas. Trannies are solid. The chassis is easily the strongest of the 3. I would never give up a solid front axle for the independant front. Yeah the ride is a little rougher, but its a heavy duty truck, not a half ton. I feel your pain on the 6.0 powerstroke in your 2007. Mine is at the shop right now actually, and I know the 6.4 in your 2008 was not much better, but I am sticking with ford when it goes down the road. I WILL skip the diesel option myself, but if you pull a lot you'd be crazy not to get a diesel. Towing all day with my dad's 2004 w/ 5.4 gas and I would be tired! My 6.0 diesel cut the fatigue in half.

2nd choice for me would be the GM. I like the look of the exterior, but I just hate how cheap the interiors look/ feel. Duramax/Allison is a very nice combo. The front ends are way too light to run a snowplow on them without some kind of prep package, but they sure ride nice. Also, when I have driven a 2011 2500hd I cant see shII for about 20 feet right in front of the truck, the geometry of the hood makes it a real strain to see when maneuvering in tight spots. They almost need a back up camera in the front LOL.

I would NEVER buy a dodge ( or now they are just RAM trucks I guess?) even though the 5.9 cummins is the best engine out of the 3. The chassis and drivetrain are terrible, and have been for so long I cant remember it being any other way. I am sure people will give me crap on this one LOL.

Remember on the new diesels you'll be pouring 35 gallons of DEF in with every oil change. Depending on how expensive this stuff stays it could really add to your maintenance costs. right now it doubles the cost of an oil change. Ford went to def in 2011, Gm in 2012, and Ram will build it's 2013's requiring it. You might be able to avoid the hassle with a carry over model, except the ford you would end up with a 6.4 again.

Edited by OlsonKrist 11/16/2012 02:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)