AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does a lower price increase farmer selling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

rHiNoBaLlS
Posted 11/12/2012 13:03 (#2692996 - in reply to #2692957)
Subject: RE: Does a lower price increase farmer selling

WC MN
Depends on the mentality of the region/farmer. "Here" I know a lot of guys that contracted this spring for fear of the bottom dropping out. They were short a crop from last year and prices where not as good this spring. They sold what they could to make sure they broke even... Sort of a survival mode. South of "here" a few miles, I know of quite a few guys who are sitting on some of 2010 and 2011 waiting for $9. Some of those guys sold a lot of 2010 this year for $8 cash. Those guys are not what I would call flush with cash but made enough good sales to be sitting ok and not worry about the bottoms. Let's be honest, if you own your land, have your equipment and land paid for and have an aph of 190. $8 corn was like "winning the lottery" in some cases. Add to that guys that are running beets and now you know why rent is close to $700/acre. Yes, I heard that number last weekend south of Renville. 15 years ago that's what an ACRE COST here.

Myself, I am somewhere in the middle. We are 90% sold on corn and 85% on beans. We had some puts we liquidated today but wish were more sold on what's in the bin. We are very happy with what we sold. Just wish it was more :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)