AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

electric fence and deer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Fenceman
Posted 10/24/2007 09:07 (#225709 - in reply to #225500)
Subject: RE: electric fence and deer?

NE
Jim,
Remember ,when you put in the electric fence ...thats what it is electric fence..usually a temporary fix when its working. Its that time of year , Bucks are starting "rut season". While chasing a doe the last thing on thier mind is your one wire fence! To answer your question on higher voltage...don't make much difference, by the time the buck realizes he ran into it the shock is inmaterial . My suggestion is next time use hi tensile 12 1/2 gauge wire. Depending on which wire you choose, breaking strength will be between 1350-1850 psi. Using that, the deer won't break it anymore but then you will have many broken "step in " posts . I recommend a composite type(plastic/fiber) small round post(1") for this use. I've used them in high deer traffic areas and have had great success. Deer still run into it but the wire and Powerflex posts forgive enough and recoil back into original shape without breaking. Little more expensive and little more time consuming installing but I believe you'll find it well worth it in the long run. If you want anymore info on either one e-mail me sometime as I'm a dealer in both products or will assist you in where or what to get next time. Isn't owning and having cows around fun ? :-) Nothing beats doing unexpected chores before going to work in the mornings huh ? And to think around here some people pay to get that kind of exercise ! Hang in there .
Fenceman
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)