AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

electric fence and deer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

pjt
Posted 10/24/2007 01:38 (#225612 - in reply to #225500)
Subject: RE: electric fence and deer?

Princeton,IN
Had deer(I think) run into a 2 strand,14 ga. fence a few days ago. Had the wire wrapped twice around a power line insulator on the corner post. Wire wrapped twice around, then wrapped back around itself to tie it off. Did this so I could move it to another corner post 10 feet away, thus shutting off the opening(don't have a gate here). When the deer hit it, it pulled the wire around the insulator 'till it was LOOSE.(I had several feet of extra wire, just kind of laying on itself...picture a long tail after going around the insulator). Told the boys we had to go splice the fence back together as deer had broken it-when we walked the fence,found it had only pulled loose. This was a pasture divider also. It was the top wire, about where they would hit with their chest.
Was your's a high-tensile wire? Don't think deer would BREAK a high tensile wire, unless it had a kink in it...
Yes, they can break a regular electric fence wire, if they hit it running. Have read to always leave all hot wires charged, so deer are used to them being hot, but temporary pasture dividers may be a surprise...one trick would be to hang SOMETHING(rags, duct tape, plastic) to flag the wire so the d##n deer SEE it...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)