AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why is tapioca SO EXPENSIVE???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

SDSunflower
Posted 8/10/2012 23:00 (#2532697 - in reply to #2529603)
Subject: Clear Gel is an alternate for Tapioca

Turner County, SD
My mother always used Clear Gel which is basically tapioca powder or starch. The wonderful thing about this product is that is dissolves completely in the juice of the fruit and does not become runny. It also has no flavor of its own and therefore you do not have a pasty taste. I purchase my flour on-line through Barry Farms. They sell it in 5 lb bags for $8.00 and will last a very long time, or 1 lb bag for $2+. It keeps for a long time or you can share it with a friend.

Now, regarding tapioca in general. I agree with whoever wrote that it tastes better when it is warm. I remember my mom making a double or triple batch (family of 8) and letting it cool slightly in the enclosed porch. MMMMM was that good. I use the recipe on the box, but tweek it a bit.
2 egg whites whipped with 1/2 cup sugar until peaks form, 3 Tbsp of Minute tapioca soaked in 2 cups of milk for 10 minutes, add 3 Tbsp of sugar, pinch of salt, cook over medium heat until mixture comes to full boil. Blend in egg yolk and remove from heat. Keep stirring until thickened.
When mixture is a little bit cooled, fold in the egg white mixture and vanilla. Serve warm.

Edited by SDSunflower 8/10/2012 23:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)