AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nervous ticks in kids
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chavez
Posted 7/27/2012 15:34 (#2508684 - in reply to #2507893)
Subject: RE: Nervous ticks in kids

Wow - this kid could be me when I was that age. I went through almost the exact same ordeal with an assorment of ticks. I was eventually diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome, however the Dr. that diganosed me was later found out to be misdiagnosing patients in order to prescribe them Prosac so he could get a kickback. So I kind of doubt I actually have TS since it is heriditary and I have no family history of TS or ticks for that matter. Anyways, I took medication for quite a few years that didn't help much and basically resulted in me sleeping my way through Junior High School due to the side effects. I finally decided to quit the meds and my life got much better once I could go 2 hours without dosing off. I was a very high strung and socially nervous kid and I think the ticks were just my way of dealing with high pressure situations. As I have gotten older (I'm now in my 30's) the ticks have pretty much gone away.

I would caution you to not assume he has any control over what he is doing, they are most likely involuntary. It sounds like you or your wife have a family history of this sort of thing so TS is certainly a possibility. You DO NOT have to have vocal ticks and swearing outbursts to have TS. TS also manifest itself at the age your child is at. I would also say that there is a very good chance things will get better once he gets older. I had a rough few years (2nd grade - 8th grade), but things began improving dramically after that. I would also not medicate him unless absolutely necessrary - it's just not worth it. I feel for your child because things will likely be rough at school for a few years (mine were brutal with teasing and physical abuse), however everything I went through at a young age helped me become the person I am now - he will get though it with support from his family and friends.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)