AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ethanol mandate (Gartmann)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

DW11
Posted 7/18/2012 13:36 (#2492569 - in reply to #2492201)
Subject: RE: dw11 who said anything about getting 3% of the mileage

SESD Sious Falls
If you did the math for me, we could get to the point faster. haha So, you added 10% more fuel (ethanol), but only received 3% more mileage. So, my problem with this is the BTU output of 10% more ethanol is about 6.7%, not 3%. Furthermore, as you point out, some vehicles get good gas mileage at higher blends. A scientific study by the University of Minnesota found E20-E30 provided the same gas mileage as E0. The same study found that all blends of ethanol got better mileage than the BTU's would have predicted. I have confirmed this in my own experience. Thus, be prepared for some flak when you come on here and claim ethanol gives us less than half of the mileage that BTU's would predict and contradicts a university study showing better mileage than BTU's would predict. Better go back to the E50 pickup from 2004!

The ethanol debate just gets more outlandish. It used to be that energy content was the big argument, but now its unscientific, uncontrolled mileage comparisons. And I realize that the automotive industry could do a better job of fine-tuning engines to run on ethanol--higher compressions and turbo-charged engines make better use of ethanol blends and make up for the lesser BTU's.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)