AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

60" vs 30" side dress
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/2/2012 11:44 (#2410566 - in reply to #2410417)
Subject: RE: 60" vs 30" side dress - comparison data

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Farmertime - 6/2/2012 08:36 Jim I need a little clarity on Franzens opinion. So 1/3 PP and 2/3 side dressed. If we are talking 200# TOTAL N he is saying 132#N side dress is fine? So if it is at 60" centers now we are talking 264#? Maybe my coffee hasn't set in this AM yet, but I would be concerned with that much N on 60"

No, we are still talking about pounds/units of N PER ACRE. That number stays the same regardless of your applicator spacing.

The NH3 PER ACRE stays the same, however the NH3 PER COULTER APPLICATOR is twice as high when side dressing on 60" as it is on 30" so sealing has to be very good when side dressing on 60" when using NH3. Joe has been working hard to make sure our 6000 seals relatively high rates per coulter and to get it 6" deep in a wide range of conditions and it is working.

I think one reason folks have shied away from placing nh3 on 60" centers with a knife is the tough time sealing.  To seal they sometimes have to run a knife very deep requiring a lot of hp, soil disturbance and possibly root pruning.

Basically, when side dressing on 60" centers the rate per acre is the same (2/3 of your total N) but the rate PER OPENER is twice what it is on 30" spacing. No problem with liquid but can be a sealing problem with some anhydrous system in some soil conditions.

Unless you are raising 300 bu corn, you may also find that with the 1/3 pp + 2/3 side dressed you don't need quite as much N as all fall or pp applied.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 6/2/2012 11:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)