AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

$12.00 Soybeans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

ScottPA
Posted 9/27/2007 20:38 (#210809 - in reply to #210742)
Subject: RE: Remove all "time" and look at it.

Jersey Shore, PA
"Cost of production per bu. is a moving number with each sound of thunder. Yeah, I have the cost of production by arce. The bu. number is a nightmare"

I'm not arguing with that statement at all. That's just where I start...............with trying to cover my costs. It is most definately a guessing game, but can at least be an educated guess.

Sounds like your marketing plan is more "defined" than mine?

I'll try to give you my version of your example:(actual this year)

Jan 07 prices are good........$4 corn...........I should lock in a little.............5k sold $4.05......my thinking is cant go wrong w/$4 corn. If it goes to 5 or 6 then so be it.

Planting season's looking a little dry, but everything is in the ground and off to a decent start, there's at least avg potential there right now......prices dropping a little, maybe I'll sell a little more..............another 5k sold $3.84. Now I'm about a third of my expected "normal" production.

Summer...........DAMN its getting dry............this summer sucks............is this crop going to be a complete disaster? Prices(charts) say I should be thinking of selling some more but I cant do it now with this weather.

August..........some scouting shows results all over the board for yields.......and I don't trust my numbers from samples enough to sell any more so I'll be content to sit it out until harvest. I have enough sold at good prices and the rest will go in our bins until another good opportunity comes up.

Is this good marketing??? I have no idea. I'm just telling you how it works for me. Now I've never had a COMPLETE disaster and I've never sold a boatload before planting even starts so I dont think I'll be in the "oversold" boat but you never know in farming. That's part of the fun isn't it:)

Like I said, I'm not disagreeing that cost/bu can not be known pre harvest...........just using as my starting point.

Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)