AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ANZAC following on from Ed Boysun's Special Day thread below
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ham
Posted 4/25/2012 03:57 (#2352795)
Subject: ANZAC following on from Ed Boysun's Special Day thread below

Blvd d'Espair Bowhill, Sth Aust

Following on from the thread Ed Boysun started below about a "Special day ".    

It's a strange thing......

Most nations celibrate their  victories.  

Australia  & New Zealand choose to celebrate an event where we  and those with us, were given an absolute belting  97 years ago,  at Gallipoli on the Turkish coast.

And  stranger still is  that  Turkey chooses to respect  the  desire of our nations to honour our  fallen there..   to the degree that  the area is recognised  in Turkey as  ANZAC Cove.

Reports  are that there were some 6,000 people attending the service at ANZAC Cove  at dawn this morning, mostly Aussies and Kiwis.
The Government and the people of Turkey welcome  a similar  crowd every year to allow them to pay their respects  at the site.

Although I feel no need to travel and attend,    I am grateful and moved  by the   ongoing kindness exhibited by that host nation in not only allowing, but welcoming those that do feel the need  to be there.

I am glad to see our Prime Minister  made  comments along these lines today.   Although i otherwise have little time for her,  or  the side of politics she stands for,  i will  gladly support  her statement that   this nation owes a debt to it's Turkish friends for  helping maintain a lasting ANZAC legacy

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)