AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what do you wish urban people understood about farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

amsunshine
Posted 3/2/2012 11:57 (#2263064 - in reply to #2261524)
Subject: RE: what do you wish urban people understood about farming

Blooming where I am planted!

I'm a new farm wife; here is my perspective.  Farming is the ultimate career.  Not only are you a business owner, but you get to work with the elements of nature (weather, soil, animals, etc.) and these are both kind and cruel masters so to speak.  Everyone has to eat, so from that standpoint, your career is "secure".  In other words, it's very purposeful work.  Farmers also wear many more hats than the average business owner:  mechanic, welder, accountant, breeder, machine operator, builder, painter, and so on.  Also--this ain't your grandpa's farm anymore.  From what I understand so far, the future of farming involves both high-tech devices (GPS, 36-row planters for BTOs, timed waterers, etc.) as well as low-tech devices (rotational grazing, using manure as fertilizer, etc.).  It seems to me that there are many ways to "practice" farming as there are ways to practice medicine--and with many different methods, the consumer has a choice on which method they wish to support--but they should fully educate themselves in the meantime so they are fully informed.  One other thing:  farming takes people.  We sure could use some help, even if temporary, around here.  I think the biggest gift an urban person could give is their time.  Come out and see.  Help a farmer, if only for a day--BUT come prepared to listen and learn and work, not to criticize or stand around.

Edited by amsunshine 3/2/2012 11:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)