AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what do you wish urban people understood about farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Hanorob
Posted 3/1/2012 19:15 (#2261681 - in reply to #2261524)
Subject: Re: what do you wish urban people understood about farming

W. Canada
Honestly I think it is important for people to understand the compromises that are made in agricultural production. For example the application of liquid manure is theoretically the most efficient when applied in the spring. So most people are upset on how much manure is applied in the summer or fall. What they don't see is that spring application is often not possible due to a time constraint or a fear of soil compaction. This, although extremely simplified, is a form of compromise. From an environmental point, there is no optimal way for us to manage our problems, without creating another. There is no perfect world. That is what many people do not understand. This although may exceed the scope of regular urban residents and be more targeted towards environmental concerned people that put much effort into demonizing every practice we do.

I also know this is a dead beaten horse, but it seems as if people think farmers are less intelligent and rather only an extended arm of corporations. What I am trying to say is that people often believe we are not able to do our own decisions when it comes to GMO crops or chemicals and they need to protect us from the greedy corporations. As seen on this is site it is quite evident that farmers actually are able to think for themselves and make decisions on their operation themselves. I can see this in the Crop Talk - Soybean Dicamba Tolerance thread. Other than the public suspects we are not completely embracing of everything given to us and are much more critical than they may believe.

Many people not in agriculture, but do show an interest in their food, appear to think we are doing it all wrong and that their ideas will save the world. I would imagine they are quite surprised if they knew many of their proposals were attempted much before their time.

Thank you,
Lutz

Edited by Hanorob 3/1/2012 19:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)