AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cutting Hay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

David in MD
Posted 6/1/2006 17:26 (#16368 - in reply to #16121)
Subject: RE: Cutting Hay

From my experience selling hay to horse owners I wouldn't have a clue what to feed a horse. I've got people who want only the best pure early cut alfalfa and some that buy strictly on price and will feed anything so long as it isn't dusty or moldy. It's generally the race horse owners or the Amish who want the best hay with the pleasure horse owners wanting lessor quality. In the humid east my first criteria is to make the hay when the weather is right followed by when the hay is right. Someone will come along and buy whatever I bale. I have found most people have an idea what they want to buy but have some flexibility depending on what is avaiable in the area and the price. With my first cutting alfalfa orchardgrass mixes the orchardgrass always matures way before the alfalfa. I try to cut early if the weather cooperates as I really have to discount hay that looks like straw. I think you'll find over mature grass in head will really temper the young alfalfa and you'll have a decent mixed hay which isn't too hot for horses.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)