AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

100 acres no-till or conventional
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cessnapilot3
Posted 10/12/2011 13:02 (#2000901)
Subject: 100 acres no-till or conventional

Got 100 acres on the table for next year. I have been doing a corn/bean rotation. I've been happy with no-till, but, i'm using a 4 row planter and small implements. I'm noticing the ground is gettin hard as a rock and believe that it may have to do with using the smaller implements, hence running over more of the field. Its a family farm, was done on the halves witha mega farmer, large , wide implements with flotation tires for the last 20 years. This was my third year and we have done well, but are getting concerned about hard soil.

I know my grandpa did corn on corn every year with plow and brought in 160-180 bu acre yeilds every year. No rotation and cultivated for weed control. I'm considering going maybe to a corn corn bean rotation and doing full tillage between corn on corn and no till in the bean year..

I understand that no-till may save money and time on 3000 acres, but does it pay on the little guy? Do u think that going back conventional corn on corn with today's market is a step backwards? Would like to have some inpit from the vets on this one. Thanks fellas
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)