AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn on Corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

00rooster
Posted 9/3/2011 18:41 (#1944666 - in reply to #1942848)
Subject: Re: Corn on Corn

I tried some no-till COC, it was a disaster two years in a row...never again. Too many things are left to chance to obtain optimum stand. Fall strip-tilled this year and it has looked fantastic from the start. I'm completely sold on it, and use a 1 1/2 mole knife to put dry fertilizer 5-6 inches deep(splitting old rows). The berm of the strip kept the residue off, by spring 95% of the residue settled out in the valleys between the strips, and as long as you don't "fluff" it back up in the spring you'll have bare dirt in your row, with a high residue mat between the rows.
You'll be happy with emergence also, it should be early and even, compared to no-till.

I've never used a vertical tillage machine, but I've had neighbors who have, and much of their residue ended up in the fence-lines, road ditches, or anything else that might catch blowing leaves and shucks.(maybe you don't get the wind like we do in Nebraska) If I'm going to lose them I might as well bale them up, at least then I can sell them to buy the fertilizer. Besides, if you just want to throw a little dirt on your residue, you can just make a high speed light pass with a disc, it'll do the same thing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)