AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

a few pics and a few questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

billonthefarm
Posted 8/24/2011 22:20 (#1929052)
Subject: a few pics and a few questions

Farmington IL
I really dont know where the summer went but it is in the rear view mirror. Got a call last thursday about 3pm from the custom chopping guy wanting to know if I could be ready at 8am friday morning. Told him I would be ready, one way or another.

We worked well into the night thursday but friday morning we were ready to roll.

Our crops are like most and have been hurt with the hot dry weather and the bpa will be less that we would like the tonnage per acre is much higher than last year.

I wanted to get something under these bags, rock, lime, something but it didnt happen so we will fight the mud again in the spring. Sometimes it is hard to remember how we functioned without a front wheel assist loader tractor.

Alot of our time and efforts were put into this project It was time to do something different with our feedlot. Guardrail fence and fenceline bunks. I hope I can do this once and have it last thrity years. I know we will make mistakes but I hope they are minor ones we can easily fix.

Thought it was time to do something about how we handle our feedstuffs. This pad will let us pile up processed hay, stalks and wet gluten without having it on the ground. I have a neighbor contractor who does projects pretty reasonable.

I put alot of thought into this decision, and I mean alot. We talked about it around the farm many times. We have three shallow wells here and one that you can pull alot of water out of and it would have been cheap and easy to sink another shallow well. This wasnt cheap but what would the cost of hauling water be? Its a 700 foot hole and I think it will be worth every penny.

Now I have couple questions that you guys can help me with,
Should we be using some innoculant on our silage? We havent been but that is more from lack of knowledge than informed decision.

The well guy wants to put in a Franklin pump that is a three phase, variable speed pump with a small pressure tank. Anyone got one of these systems?

We have all Woodford hydrants. The orange ones that say iowa on them. He says we should use Merrill hydrants. Says they can be repaired without digging them up. Any opinions?

Does everybody use those insulated pieces under their automatic waterer? Looks like tile but insulated. Seems like a good idea. We havent before but are going to this time.

I always have lots of ideas and then questions. Too much time sitting in the tractor will cause random thoughts! I was thinking a water meter might be kinda neat but have no real purpose.

Oh well thats just another crazy idea. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)